The Culinary Institute of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Writing Adjunct Instructor
at The Culinary Institute of America
Culinary Institute of America adjunct faculty members are responsible for teaching students high standard of professionalism. The responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to: teaching and evaluating students. Adjunct faculty members also maintain office hours, assist students who are having difficulty with studies, and honor college policies.
COLLEGE WRITING (LITC-100)
Students will write and revise essays that demonstrate their ability to read and think critically, to incorporate evidence into the development of their ideas, and to articulate their responses persuasively. Readings may include essays, articles, literature, or literary criticism. Basic concepts of information literacy will be introduced. Grammar, usage, and mechanics will be reviewed as necessary.
* Opening is for Fall 2019 semester. Classes are classroom-based at our Hyde Park, NY campus; the candidate must be able to travel to campus for each class session.
• Prepare daily lesson plans for classes and teach classes as requested and scheduled, in a manner consistent with the philosophy, policies, and guidelines of the institute;
• Works individually as an advisor for students who may need extra help, who have questions about course information, who want career guidance, or who need assistance in their studies;
• Provide regular and constructive feedback to students in an objective, consistent, and timely manner; evaluates and documents student performance using established methods and criteria; files course grades consistently and without prejudice;
• Evaluate and document student performance using established methods and criteria;
• File course grades promptly within the specific time frame allowed;
• Compile and present instructional material at scheduled times and places in accordance with the College Catalog descriptions, course syllabi and outlines and class schedules as assigned;
• Utilize the established syllabus and textbook(s) for the course being taught;
• Maintain record of student attendance, student progress, and grade distributions;
• Maintain discipline and order during instructional activities;
• Communicate through appropriate channels;
• Enforce sanitation principles (appropriate to particular teaching assignment), attendance policies, Institute’s Professionalism, Uniform, and Hygiene Policy, and other academic policies;
• Supports the mission and policies of the Institute as well as the overall strategic direction of the Department of Continuing Education;
• Assume responsibility for equipment and facilities of the classroom;
• Performs duties common to all Culinary Institute employees and other duties as assigned.
• Masters Degree in Writing, English or another related field
• PhD in area specialization;
• Experience with Moodle or similar education software;
• 1 year college level teaching experience.
• Strong interpersonal skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively work with multiple teams across the organization;
• Ability to use sound judgment and discretion in handling sensitive student issues with confidentiality and discretion;
• Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills required;
• Strong computer experience, which must include abilities to work effectively with MS Office suite products, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
• Strong customer service skills;
• Moderate to strong organizational skills, detail oriented and thorough;
• Ability to work independently or in a team environment, and maintain collaborative relationships with all members of faculty and administration;
• Must have an excellent and welcoming presence in front of guests and employees. Moderate to strong presentation skills are required.
• Must be available to work nights and weekends as required due to business needs.