The Culinary Institute of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Culinary Institute of America
Culinary Institute of America adjunct faculty members are responsible for teaching students high standard of professionalism. The responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to: teaching and evaluating students. Adjunct faculty members also maintain office hours, assist students who are having difficulty with studies, and honor college policies.
ELEMENTARY ITALIAN I (ITAL-310)
For students who have had little or no previous exposure to the language. This course is a foundation in spoken and written Italian, listening and reading comprehension, grammatical usage, and cultural backgrounds. Class will be conducted in Italian and students will spend weekly sessions in a language laboratory.
ELEMENTARY ITALIAN II (ITAL-320)
A continuation of Elementary Italian I. This course is a foundation in spoken and written Italian, listening and reading comprehension, grammatical usage, and cultural backgrounds. Class will be conducted in Italian and students will spend weekly sessions in a language laboratory. Prerequisite(s): Elementary Italian I (ITAL-310)
Opening is for the spring 2020 semester.
Teaching is classroom based on our Hyde Park, NY campus in the mid-Hudson Valley; candidate must be able to travel to campus for each class session.
- Prepare daily lesson plans for classes and teach classes as requested and scheduled, in a manner consistent with the philosophy, policies, and guidelines of the institute.
- Work individually as an advisor for students who may need extra help, who have questions about course information, who want career guidance, or who need assistance in their studies.
- Provide regular and constructive feedback to students in an objective, consistent, and timely manner; evaluates and documents student performance using established methods and criteria; files course grades consistently and without prejudice.
- Evaluate and document student performance using established methods and criteria.
- File course grades promptly within the specific timeframe allowed.
- Compile and present instructional material at scheduled times and places in accordance with the College Catalog descriptions, course syllabi and outlines and class schedules as assigned.
- Utilize the established syllabus and textbook(s) for the course being taught.
- Maintain record of student attendance, student progress, and grade distributions.
- Maintain discipline and order during instructional activities.
- Communicate through appropriate channels.
- Enforce sanitation principles (appropriate to particular teaching assignment), attendance policies, Institute’s Professionalism, Uniform, and Hygiene Policy, and other academic policies.
- Supports the mission and policies of the Institute as well as the overall strategic direction of the Department of Continuing Education.
- Assume responsibility for equipment and facilities of the classroom.
- Performs duties common to all Culinary Institute employees and other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Italian or a related field
- PhD in area specialization.
- One (1) year college level teaching experience.
- Experience with Moodle.
- Strong interpersonal skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively work with multiple teams across the organization.
- Ability to use sound judgment and discretion in handling sensitive student issues with confidentiality and discretion.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills required.
- Strong computer experience, which must include abilities to work effectively with MS Office suite products, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Moderate to strong organizational skills, detail oriented and thorough.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment, and maintain collaborative relationships with all members of faculty and administration.
- Must have an excellent and welcoming presence in front of guests and employees. Moderate to strong presentation skills are required.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends as required due to business needs.