The Culinary Institute of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Dining Room Service Faculty
at The Culinary Institute of America
Culinary Institute of America faculty members are responsible for teaching students, developing curriculum, conducting research and organizing conferences and retreats to a high standard of professionalism. The responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to: preparing lesson plans, teaching and evaluating students, preparing and revising course guides and other educational materials, and developing the intellectual property of the college. Faculty members also provide professional and career advice for students pursuing careers in the foodservice industry, maintain office hours, assist students who are having difficulty with studies, and honor college policies. Faculty are also expected to contribute to the overall operation of the college and support the mission of the Institute, by acting as Ambassadors of the Culinary Institute of America.
- Prepares daily instructional lesson plans and instructs in a manner consistent with the philosophy, policies, and guidelines of the college.
- Instructs lectures and hands-on classes on campus, off campus, or remotely to a standard consistent with the professional standards of the CIA.
- Works individually as an advisor for students who may need extra help, who have questions about course information, who want career guidance, or who need assistance in their studies.
- Provide regular and constructive feedback to students in an objective, consistent, and timely manner; evaluates and documents student performance using established methods and criteria; files course grades consistently and without prejudice.
- With colleagues, prepares, reviews, and revises course guides, syllabi, and appropriate curriculum materials for courses offered at the Institute, and any other educational materials required.
- Conducts instruction and table service in an exemplary manner consistent with the professional standards of the Institute, and within budgetary limits.
- Teaches assigned courses following the schedule and curriculum provided for each course.
- Supervises students in delivering quality hospitality and service according to college guidelines.
- Enforces sanitation principles (appropriate to particular teaching assignment), attendance policies, Institute’s Professionalism, Uniform, and Hygiene Policy, and other academic policies.
- Assumes responsibility for equipment and facilities of the kitchen, bakeshop, pastry shop, dining room, or classrooms.
- Stays abreast of new developments in the foodservice and hospitality industries; plans on an annual basis, professional development; and strives to accomplish the goals set out in the formal annual plan.
- Supports the mission and policies of the Institute as well as the overall strategic direction.
- Contributes to the growth of the college by serving on committees or task forces, assisting with visitors, recommending students and potential employees, and displaying hospitality.
- Develops menus, planning documents and organizational plans for conferences, retreats and any other event as required.
- Performs duties common to all Culinary Institute employees and other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s (CIA preferred) in hospitality or business related concentration
- Five (5) years of demonstrated progressive growth and development in hospitality and service delivery management positions in conceptually relevant foodservice models
- Bachelor’s degree in hospitality or related business concentration
- Strong interpersonal skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively work with multiple teams across the organization.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to use sound judgment and discretion in handling sensitive student issues with confidentiality and discretion.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills required.
- Strong computer experience, which must include abilities to work effectively with MS Office suite products, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Moderate to strong organizational skills, detail oriented and thorough.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment, and maintain collaborative relationships with all members of the hospitality and service management team as well as chef partners.
- Must have an excellent and welcoming presence in front of guests and employees. Moderate to strong presentation skills are required.
- Must have the ability to lift fifty (50) pounds on a frequent basis.
- Able to bend, stoop or reach as needed.
- Ability to stand and work for extended periods of time (6 hours) such as in restaurant/BQT service.