The Culinary Institute of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Demo Chef - Culinary Arts - On Call
at The Culinary Institute of America
This is an on-call position for occasional Saturdays.
The Demo Chef is responsible for overseeing non –degree seeking food enthusiast students in their particular course(s) in a professional manner. The responsibilities of the position include food preparation, kitchen demonstrations, preparing and revising course material as needed, management of food production and service, supporting an atmosphere of educational fun.
- Facilitate courses as assigned and follow the schedule provided for that course
- Supervise students in preparing quality food within Institute guidelines
- Enforce sanitation and safety principles
- Provide energetic kitchen demonstrations
- Assume responsibility for equipment and facilities of the kitchen and/or classrooms
- Collaborate with specified personnel in order to provide and outstanding guest experience
- Any and all other duties as assigned
Associate’s Degree in Culinary Arts
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience which includes managerial level duties and responsibilities in the Food Service/Hospitality Industry with a strong focus on Culinary Arts.
- Extensive knowledge of professional cooking, food preparation, kitchen food production management and service in the hospitality industry
- Previous instructional and kitchen demonstration experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree
- Advanced certification such as CHE, ACF, or ProChef®
- ServSafe certification
- High skill level in Culinary Arts, kitchen demonstration and safety/sanitary practices.
- Strong oral communication skills, including the ability to break complex concepts down to an appropriate level for students.
- Ability to identify learning outcomes, and execute plans to achieve those objectives with students.
- Strong teamwork, organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to be adaptable and dependable.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office applications, including e-mail software, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Must have the ability to lift fifty (50) pounds
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time in a typical kitchen environment.
- Must be able to perform hands on demonstrations of culinary techniques and correct use of equipment.
- Must have the ability to work various shifts including weekends
- Must have the ability to be exposed to common cleaning agents and chemicals associated with food safety and kitchen sanitation.