The Culinary Institute of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Demo Chef – Baking & Pastry Arts
at The Culinary Institute of America
This is an on-call position for occasional Saturdays.
The Culinary Institute of America, the world's premier culinary college, is looking for Demonstration (demo) Chef for Baking & Pastry Arts to demonstrate for our Food Enthusiast Programs. The Demo Chef is responsible for providing food demonstrations for non – degree seeking food enthusiast students in their particular course(s). The responsibilities of the position include food preparation, kitchen demonstrations, preparing and revising course material as needed, management of baking production, supporting an atmosphere of food enthusiast education and fun.
- Provide demonstration of food enthusiast courses as assigned and follow the schedule provided for that course
- Manage bakeshop production to ensure high quality food within Institute guidelines
- Enforce basic sanitation and safety principles
- Provide energetic kitchen demonstrations
- Assume responsibility for equipment and facilities of the bakeshop and/or classrooms
- Collaborate with specified personnel in order to provide an outstanding guest experience
- Any and all other duties as assigned
Associate’s Degree in Baking and Pastry Arts
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience which includes managerial level duties and responsibilities in the Food Service/Hospitality Industry with a strong focus on Baking and Pastry Arts.
- Extensive knowledge of professional cooking, food preparation, kitchen food production management and service in the hospitality industry
- Previous instructional and kitchen demonstration experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree
- Advanced certification such as CHE, ACF, or ProChef®
- ServSafe certification
- High skill level in Baking and Pastry Arts, kitchen demonstration and safety/sanitary practices.
- Strong oral communication skills, including the ability to break complex concepts down to an appropriate level for students.
- Ability to identify learning outcomes, and execute plans to achieve those objectives with students.
- Strong teamwork, organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to be adaptable and dependable.
- Basic Microsoft Office application knowledge
- Must have the ability to lift fifty (50) pounds
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time in a typical kitchen environment.
- Must be able to perform hands on demonstrations of baking and pastry techniques and correct use of equipment.
- Must have the ability to work on Saturdays
- Must have the ability to be exposed to common cleaning agents and chemicals associated with food safety and kitchen sanitation.