The Culinary Institute of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Culinary Chef Instructor
at The Culinary Institute of America
A Culinary Institute of America Chef Instructor is responsible for teaching students, in the classroom and kitchen lab environments, developing curriculum, conducting research and contributing to the intellectual property of the college all while maintaining a high standard of professionalism.
The responsibilities of the position include: preparing lesson plans, teaching and evaluating students, preparing and revising course guides and other educational materials, and assessing degree program learning outcomes.
All faculty members are responsible to advise students on academics, to provide professional advice for students pursuing careers in the foodservice industry, maintain office hours(outside of class time), and to assist students who have difficulty with studies.
Faculty is expected to contribute to the overall operation of the college, honor college policies and procedures, and to support the mission of the Institute, by acting as Ambassadors of the Culinary Institute of America.
- Prepare daily instructional lesson plans based upon agreed upon curriculum and instruct in a manner consistent with the philosophy, policies, and guidelines of the college.
- Assess the learning outcomes listed in the course guide or syllabus of the class(s)
- Instruct lectures and hands-on classes on campus, off campus or remotely to a standard consistent with the professional standards of the Culinary Institute of America.
- Work individually as an advisor for students who may need extra help, who have questions about course information, who want career guidance, or who need assistance in their studies.
- Provide regular and constructive feedback to students in an objective, consistent, and timely manner; evaluate and document student performance using established methods, rubrics, and criteria; file course grades consistently and without prejudice.
- Collaborate with colleagues, to prepare, review, and revise course guides, syllabi, and appropriate curriculum materials for courses offered at the Institute, and any other educational materials required.
- Conduct travel and/or off campus business related activities instruction, food preparation, and table service in an exemplary manner consistent with the professional standards of the Institute, and within budgetary limits.
- Teach assigned courses following the schedule and curriculum provided for each course.
- In culinary, baking, or pastry arts classes (degree programs or continuing education), supervise students in preparing quality food within Institute guidelines.
- Enforce sanitation principles (appropriate to particular teaching assignment), attendance policies, Institute’s Professionalism, Uniform, and Hygiene Policy, and other academic policies.
- Assume responsibility for equipment and facilities of the kitchen, bakeshop, pastry shop, dining room, or classrooms.
- Stay abreast of new developments in the foodservice and hospitality industries; plan on an annual basis professional development; and strive to accomplish the goals set out in the formal annual plan.
- Support the mission and policies of the Institute as well as the overall strategic direction of the Department of Continuing Education.
- Contribute to the growth of the college by serving on committees or task forces, assisting with visitors, recommending students and potential employees, and displaying hospitality.
- Develop menus, planning documents and organizational plans for conferences, retreats and any other event as required.
- Perform duties common to all Culinary Institute of America employees and other duties as assigned.
Associate’s Degree or equivalent required in the field of Culinary Arts, Foodservice Management, Hospitality or a related field.
- Minimum seven (7) years industry post-graduate recent experience.
- At least three (3) years of supervisory experience with both management and line level employees.
- Proven track record showing a steady progression of skill level, increased levels of responsibility, and personal career oriented professional development chef and/or instructor in culinary education.
- Familiar with basic fundamental cooking methods and advanced culinary skills. Specialization in one or more cuisines such as Asia, Mexico, Latin America, European and the Mediterranean region including familiarity of cultural significance, key ingredients and preparation techniques unique to the cuisine.
- Relevant work experience in one or more of the following areas volume foodservice, fine dining, multi- unit restaurant operations, and menu R&D.
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent in the field of Culinary Arts, Foodservice Management, Hospitality, Education or a related field.
- High level of proficiency in hands-on culinary techniques.
- Basic computer literacy, which must include ability to work effectively in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and /or similar programs.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to effectively work with multiple teams across the organization to respond to business needs
- Ability to use sound judgment and discretion in handling sensitive student issues with confidentiality and discretion.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills required.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Moderate to strong organizational skills, detail oriented and thorough.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment, and maintain collaborative relationships with all members of faculty and administration.
- Must have an excellent and welcoming presence in front of guests and employees.
- Must have the ability to lift fifty (50) pounds on a frequent basis.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time in a typical kitchen environment.
- Must be able to perform hands on demonstrations of meat fabrication and culinary techniques and correct use of equipment.
- Must have the ability to work various shifts including those may begin at 1:30 AM and those which end at 10:00 PM.
- Must have the ability to be exposed to common cleaning agents and chemicals associated with food safety and kitchen sanitation.
- Must have the ability to be exposed to lower than average temperatures of approximately 48 degree Fahrenheit to 54 degrees Fahrenheit for extended periods of time.