The Culinary Institute of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Baking & Pastry Chef Instructor
at The Culinary Institute of America
The Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY, the world's premier culinary college is looking for baking and pastry faculty member that is responsible for teaching students in their particular course(s) in a professional manner. The responsibilities of the position include preparing lesson plans, teaching and evaluating students, preparing and revising course guides and other educational materials, and developing the intellectual property of the CIA. Faculty members also provide professional and career advice for students pursuing careers in the foodservice industry, maintain office hours, assist students who are having difficulty with studies, and honor CIA policies. Faculty members are also expected to contribute to the overall operation of the college and support the mission of the Institute.
- Prepare and execute upon daily lesson plans for classes and teach classes, in a manner consistent with the philosophy, policies, and guidelines of the CIA.
- Continually participate in the assessment process of the student’s educational development/goals as it relates to the needs of the Baking and Pastry Arts Department as well as the overall needs of the Institute.
- Work individually with students who require extra help, have questions about course information, want career guidance, or who need assistance in their studies.
- Provide regular and useful feedback to students in an objective, consistent, and timely manner; evaluate and document student performance using established methods and criteria; and file course grades promptly.
- Prepare, review, and revise course guides, syllabi, and appropriate curriculum materials for courses offered at the Institute, along with other relevant educational materials.
- Conduct instruction and any food preparation in a quality manner within budgetary limits.
- Teach courses as assigned and follow the schedule provided for that course.
- Supervise students in preparing quality food within Institute guidelines.
- Enforce sanitation principles (appropriate to particular teaching assignment), attendance policies, Institute's professionalism, uniform, and hygiene policy, and other academic policies.
- Assume responsibility for equipment and facilities of the kitchen, bakeshop, pastry shop, and/or classrooms.
- Remain current with developments in the foodservice and hospitality industries; plan annual professional development; and strive to accomplish the goals set out in the formal annual plan.
- Contribute to the growth of the CIA by serving on committees or task forces, assisting with visitors, recommending students and potential employees, and displaying hospitality.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s Degree in Baking and Pastry or Culinary Arts.
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ experience which includes managerial level duties and responsibilities in the Food Service/Hospitality Industry with a strong focus on Baking and Pastry.
- Fine dining, Baking/Pastry production and prior training experience is required.
- Previous instructional experience preferred, with a strong preference given to a record of academic experience and scholarship.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Advanced professional certification such as CEPC, CMPC, CMB, or ProChef®.
- Certified Hospitality Educator (CHE).
- ServSafe certification.
- High skill level in Baking and Pastry Arts, table service, management, food costing, and sanitary practices.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to break complex concepts down to an appropriate level for students.
- Ability to identify learning outcomes, and execute plans to achieve those objectives with students.
- Strong teamwork, organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to be adaptable, dependable and handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to stay abreast of industry trends and breakthroughs, and incorporate into curriculum.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office applications, including e-mail software, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of or ability to quickly learn industry specific software relating to educational technology, grading systems, scheduling systems and purchase ordering systems.
- Must have the ability to lift fifty (50) pounds on a frequent basis.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time in a typical kitchen environment.
- Must be able to perform hands on demonstrations of baking and pastry techniques and correct use of equipment.
- Must have the ability to work various shifts including those may begin at 1:30 AM and those which end at 10:00 PM.
- Must have the ability to be exposed to common cleaning agents and chemicals associated with food safety and kitchen sanitation.