Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
Poughkeepsie - Family Partnership
# of Openings:
Hudson River HealthCare provides the highest quality comprehensive primary, preventive, and behavioral health services to all who seek it, regardless of insurance status and ability to pay, especially for the underserved and vulnerable. Hudson River Health Center (“HRHCare”) a Federally Qualified, Non-For-Profit Health Center serving communities in Suffolk County. HRHCare is currently seeking the following healthcare professional to join our team in Poughkeepsie. We currently have the need for a part-time WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor.
A WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor is responsible for promoting and supporting breastfeeding women and their families.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide information on all aspects of lactation within guidelines addressed in training, including information on additional sources of help for the breastfeeding mother.
- Assist in teaching breastfeeding classes; participate in peer support groups.
- Be able to demonstrate various positioning techniques for mother and baby; increasing or decreasing the breast milk supply, including proportion of hind milk/ foremilk; manual expression of milk; sake and effective collection/storage of breast milk.
- Maintain all required records as well as performing appropriate WICSIS documentation of services rendered.
- Assist in recruiting candidates for peer counselor training.
Minimum Education Requirement:
- High School diploma/ GED
Minimum Related Work Experience:
- 0 - 1 year
Preferred Related Work Experience:
- 2 - 4 years
Preferred Specialized Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to communicate in English and Spanish (orally and written)
- Has successfully breastfeed at least one infant for at least six months (does not have to be currently breastfeeding)
- Is enthusiastic about breastfeeding and wants to help other mothers enjoy this positive experience
- Be a member of the population that will be served. (WIC Participant)
We are a network of 40 community and migrant health centers located in Peekskill, Beacon, Poughkeepsie, Amenia, Dover Plains, Pine Plains, Hudson, Middletown, New Paltz, Goshen, Greenport, Haverstraw, Spring Valley, Nyack, Monticello, Walden and Yonkers, Amityville, Southampton, Wyandanch, Shirley, Patchogue, Coram, Huntington, Brentwood, Riverhead and the five boroughs. Annually, we serve over 185,000 patients and over 500,000 encounters.
We offer a competitive benefits package, which includes medical, dental, Life and AD&D insurance, ongoing training opportunities and a wellness program.
Interested candidates please submit your resume.