Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior System Operator
at Central Hudson
Senior System Operator
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with substantial company match
- Life and Travel Insurance
- Tuition Assistance
- Wellness Reimbursement Program
- Paid Holidays and Vacation
What is a Senior System Operator?
A Senior System Operator provides management oversight of all aspects of the company’s electric and natural gas transmission and distribution networks on a rotating shift schedule while providing all aspects of supervision duties directly to the Engineering Group Operators and indirectly to the Customer Services Group Control Center Dispatchers, Call Center employees, and all field forces who are on-duty.
What does a Senior System Operator do?
- Using independent judgment, supervise personnel engaged in the 24x7 operation of the Electric and Gas Transmission systems and personnel engaged in the dispatch function in the Control Center and Contact Center after-hours including the approval or denial of requests for vacation, shift changes, personal/sick time, and other routine personnel issues. Manage the progressive discipline process of direct reports up to and including if necessary suspension and/or discharge.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of Operator requirements and expectations and ensure Operators strive to meet or exceed them.
- Perform training responsibilities for each assigned Operator; ensure that the Operator(s) are progressing to and maintaining full qualification, proficiency, and certification. Provide periodic constructive feedback and monitor corrective actions.
- Participate in the hiring process to fill vacancies.
- Maintain the Operator shift schedules collaboratively with the Director – Dispatch Operations to ensure all shifts are adequately staffed. Review and approve all direct report timesheets and perform monthly timesheet audits.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the Electric and Gas Outage Coordination function including reliability assessments for real-time and contingency analysis; preparation, review, approval, and scheduling of all Transmission Switching and Valving Orders.
- Develop real-time daily operating plans.
- Maintain NERC Transmission Operator and DOT Operator Qualification certifications.
- Maintain proficiency with all FERC Standards of Conduct requirements and NERC Electric Reliability Standard Requirements for all company registrations.
- Possess the ability to operate independently the electric and gas transmission systems, and take an active leadership role with storm restoration and other emergency activities.
- Perform Operating Error and human performance investigations.
- Participate in the NYISO System Operations Advisory Subcommittee (SOAS) and the Restoration Working Group (RWG).
- Participate actively in operating meetings to promote a positive, engaged, results-driven work environment, teamwork and collaboration is achieved.
- Continually seek out new process improvement methods for System Operations to improve operational performance and productivity.
What does it take to be a Senior System Operator?
- Two year technical degree in Engineering, Mechanical Science, or other technology related field with at least one year of utility transmission control room operations experience. In lieu of a two year degree, a High School Diploma (or GED) with at least 5 years of utility transmission control room operations experience will be considered. A Bachelor’s degree with utility transmission control room operations experience is preferred.
- At least one year of supervisory experience is preferred.
- Ability to successfully complete a Personal Risk Assessment check.
- Willingness and ability to work rotating shifts.
- Strong interpersonal, planning, organizational, verbal and written communication skills with high attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and perform duties effectively under emergency and contingency situations.
- Proficiency with computers and computer applications (such as Microsoft products, EMS/SCADA, Transmission Outage Application, etc.).
- NERC Transmission Operator Certification is preferred (if not currently certified, must be able to achieve certification within 9 months of hire).
- DOT Gas Operator Qualification in tasks 59, 60, & 70 is preferred (if not currently qualified, must be able to achieve such qualification within 3 months of hire).
- Experience in electric or gas system operation practices, understanding of power system dynamics, and/or Transmission System Operations is preferred.
Please go to www.centralhudson.com/employment. Click the “Search Career Opportunities” button. Follow the directions to submit an application and upload your resume for the desired position. Applications sent via e-mail and US Mail will not be accepted. No phone calls or agencies, please. All replies will be held in strict confidence.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corporation takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
VEVRAA FEDERAL CONTRACTOR