Catholic Schools in The Archdiocese of New York
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
St. Frances de Chantal - Special Education Teacher
at Catholic Schools in The Archdiocese of New York
- 04-Sep-2019 to 03-Nov-2019 (EST)
- East/Northeast Bronx
- NY, USA
- Full Time
St. Frances de Chantal School located in the East/Northeast Bronx is seeking a Special Education Teacher:
The special education teacher will plan for and deliver appropriate learning experiences for students with disabilities in a variety of educational settings. The person in this position is responsible for creating a flexible program and learning environment that provides specialized instruction, such that the students benefit from the general education curriculum to the greatest extent possible when supported with supplemental aides, accommodations, and other supports.
The educator will work as a resource room teacher and/or provide services for an integrated co-teaching (ICT) model. The duties will vary by the type of setting. In the resource room the teacher will plan, adapt and present lessons to meet each student's needs in a small-group environment, and may spend a portion of the day teaching classes with the general education teacher in order to present the information in a manner that students with disabilities can easily understand. They will also assist the general education teacher in adapting classroom lessons that will meet the needs of students with disabilities in their class.
- Provide direct and indirect instructional support to students in a positive environment.
- Assess students' skills to determine their needs, adapt lessons, track their progress, and implement the IESP.
- Teach socially acceptable behavior, as determined by the students' individualized education services plan (IESP) by employing techniques using a positive behavioral support system.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare reports.
- Provide crisis intervention as needed.
- Discuss student's progress with administrators, teachers, counselors and parents; and
- Maintain professional competence by participating in staff development activities, curriculum development meetings, and other professional opportunities.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERTISE AND ABILITIES:
- The necessary principles and application of theory into practice for effective instruction and positive behavior in a group or individual setting;
- Effective curriculum and instructional techniques;
- Human behavior, development, and skill performance;
- Individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; and
- Federal, state, and local mandates governing the determination and delivery of special education services.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's Degree in an approved program for special education.
- Possess a valid Permanent, Initial or Professional Certification from the State of New York.
- Experience working with students with multiple disabilities, including autism spectrum, ADHD, learning disabilities and developmental delays.
Please send all resumes to Sr. Patricia Brito @ email@example.com